The Mission Bay neighborhood is built on landfill located on San Francisco Bay south of Townsend Street east of Interstate 280 and north of Mariposa Street. The new UCSF research campus at Mission Bay is part of the rapid growth of a new neighborhood of office buildings and luxury condominiums being built in an area that was formerly an industrial area dominated by rail yards. The Dogpatch neighborhood lies to the south of it. Before urbanization Mission Bay was nestled inside of a +500 acre salt marsh and lagoon and was occupied by year-round tidal waters. This area was a natural habitat and refuge for large water fowl populations that included ducks geese herons egrets ospreys and gulls. The Native American tribes who resided in this area were the Costanoan people who spoke eight different languages which delineated between the various tribelets. The tribe most prevalent in the Bay area was the Patwin people who resided in the area for over 5000 years. Beginning in the mid-1800s in attempts to make this area suitable for building Mission Bay was used as a convenient place to deposit refuse from building projects and debris from the 1906 Earthquake. As the marsh quickly stabilized with the weight of the infill the area quickly became an industrial district. By 1850 the area was used for shipbuilding and repair butchery and meat production and oyster and clam fishing. With the addition of the railroad Mission Bay became the home to shipyards canneries a sugar refinery and various warehouses. In 1998 the area was announced by the Board of Supervisors as a redevelopment project. Much of the land was long a railyard of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and transferred to Catellus Development Corporation when it was spun off as part of the aborted merger of Southern Pacific and the Santa Fe Railway. Catellus subsequently sold or sub-contracted several parcels to other developers. It has rapidly evolved into a wealthy neighborhood of luxury condominiums hospitals and biotechnology research and development.